Pastrami Sandwich and Recipes
Can we all agree that the best invention in history is sandwiches, for my choice it is Pastrami Sandwich?
You are definitely thinking about your favorite sandwich as you are reading this, and you’re getting hungrier and hungrier with every word!
Not a problem, on today’s menu, we have the amazing Pastrami Sandwich that will satisfy your hunger, and more than just one pastrami sandwich recipe to choose from to suit your taste.
- What is a Pastrami Sandwich?
- Pastrami Sandwich recipes:
What is a Pastrami Sandwich?
Cue happy music.
It is simply pastrami slices with cheese and amazing slaw sandwiched between two slices of bread.
Easy, but definitely flavorful and delicious.
Following are some of our favorite pastrami sandwich recipes.
Pastrami Sandwich recipes:
1. Pastrami Sandwich recipe with Artisan-style Bread:
This recipe makes an absolutely delicious pastrami sandwich that could be served hot or cold!
- Russian Dressing:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup-style chili sauce
- ½ tablespoon horseradish sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Pastrami Sandwich:
- 1 cup shredded coleslaw
- 1-3 tablespoons Russian dressing
- 2 slices of Artisan-style bread
- 7 oz sliced pastrami
- 2 slices of swiss cheese
- In a medium bowl, mix together the Russian dressing ingredients until well combined then place in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a bowl, toss together the coleslaw with the Russian dressing. Add 1 tablespoon then add more according to your liking. Set aside.
- Spread a little Russian dressing on both pieces of bread.
- Top one piece of bread with pastrami and cheese.
- Top with the slaw and the other piece of bread.
- If you prefer a hot pastrami sandwich warm it up in the oven or on a skillet, or you can serve it cold.
Easy and delicious!
2. Hot Pastrami Sandwich recipe:
If you need to feed a crowd, this pastrami sandwich recipe is for you!
- 2 pounds thinly sliced peppered pastrami
- 2 pounds thinly sliced corned beef
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 16 slices rye bread
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- 3 cups coleslaw
- Place the pastrami, corned beef, and beef broth in a slow-cooker. Heat, covered, on the lowest setting for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until hot.
- Spread 2 slices of bread with mustard then pile a generous helping of the meats onto 1 slice.
- Top with a slice of cheese then ⅓ cup of the coleslaw and the second piece of bread.
- Cut the hot pastrami sandwich in half and serve.
If you’re having a party, you can arrange the bread and cheese on a platter, and the mustard, coleslaw, and meats in bowls and let the guests each make their own pastrami sandwich.
3. Pastrami Sandwich with Caramelized Onion and Gruyere
Making a good sandwich is all about combining the right flavors together, and caramelized onions and gruyere are an amazing addition to a great pastrami sandwich!
- For the caramelized onions:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt to taste
- For the mustard aioli
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup canola oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- For the pastrami sandwich
- 4 pretzel rolls
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 14 oz good-quality pepper-crusted pastrami slices
- 4 oz gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
- In a large, nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter then add the onions and toss to coat. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions have softened.
- Add the thyme and red pepper flakes to the onions and continue to cook, stirring frequently so they brown evenly for up to 60 minutes keeping the heat low. Season with salt and dump the onions in a large bowl.
- Make the mustard aioli by whisking the egg yolk, garlic, lemon juice, and mustard in a medium bowl to thoroughly combine.
- Start adding the canola oil just a few drops at a time, whisking constantly, until the mixture begins to emulsify. As it thickens, continue adding the oil in a slow stream, making sure each addition is thoroughly blended before adding more. Season to taste then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut each roll in half horizontally and butter the cut sides of the rolls and place them cut side down on the baking sheet.
- Spread each roll with the mustard aioli, place equal amounts of pastrami on the bottom halves of the rolls. Divvy the caramelized onions among the sandwiches on the pastrami, top it with the gruyere.
- Return the sandwiches open-faced to the oven until the cheese melts then top with the other halves of the rolls.
Your meaty, sweet, and tangy hot pastrami sandwich is ready!
4. Sriracha Wasabi Pastrami Sandwich recipe
Looking for an easy, delicious, tangy, and refreshing sandwich? This pastrami sandwich is the one for you!
- 4 slices rye bread
- 6 slices of pastrami
- Wasabi mustard to taste
- Sriracha to taste
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 sliced tomatoes
- ⅓ cup spinach
- ⅛ red onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons diced jalapenos
- Sour cream to taste
- Spread sriracha on half the slices of bread and wasabi on the others.
- Layer the spinach, pastrami, avocados, tomato, red onion, and jalapenos on the bottom slice of bread.
- Add a small dollop of sour cream, then top with the other slice of bread.
- Cut the pastrami sandwich in half and serve.
This is the perfect pastrami sandwich recipe for summer!
5. Grilled Hot Pastrami Sandwich
Planning a BBQ party soon? This hot pastrami sandwich will be the highlight of the party and everyone will love it.
- 6 hoagie style rolls
- 3 pounds sliced pastrami
- 1 sliced provolone cheese
- 1 sliced pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup French dried onions
- ½ red onion, diced
- On the bottom half of the roll, add 1 layer of several slices of pastrami.
- Add 2 slices of provolone cheese followed by another layer of pastrami.
- Top with 2 slices of pepper jack cheese then more pastrami.
- Add 2 more slices of provolone cheese, diced red onions, and dried onions.
- Wrap the sandwiches in foil and keep chilled until ready to grill.
- Heat your grill to approx 350 F.
- When the grill is heated and all your guests are around, turn the heat down and add the foil-wrapped pastrami sandwich to the grill.
- Close the lid and cook for 15 minutes, flipping it once halfway through.
- Once the cheeses are melted and the meat is hot, remove, carefully unwrap, and enjoy!
This cheesy hot pastrami sandwich is a true show-stopper! Everyone will love it and you will never get enough of it.
6. Turkey Pastrami Sandwich recipe
For turkey lovers, and health enthusiasts, this pastrami sandwich is for you!
- 2 slices whole-grain bread
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fat-free thousand island
- 3 oz sliced turkey pastrami
- 1 sliced reduced-fat swiss cheese
- ½ Roma tomato, sliced
- A small handful of mixed greens
- Heat a medium grill pan over medium-low and spray it with nonstick spray.
- Spread dijon mustard on one slice of bread and spread your thousand island on the other one.
- Top the dijon side with turkey pastrami, followed by tomato.
- Top the thousand island side with cheese.
- Cook the pastrami sandwich open-faced until the cheese is melted and the bread starts to brown.
- Add the mixed greens over the tomatoes then top with the other half of the bread, cheese side down and grill for an additional minute.
- Take off the grill and serve immediately.
This hot pastrami sandwich is delicious, filling, and healthy!
7. Pastrami Burger
In this burger, we are combining the best of both worlds: Key elements of a great pastrami sandwich and a perfect burger patty!
- 1 ½ pound ground chuck
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 8 slices pastrami
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 2 tablespoons sauerkraut liquid
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- softened butter
- 8 slices rye bread
- Russian dressing
- Preheat the oven to 300 F.
- Mix the ground chuck with salt then shape it into 4 rectangles roughly the size of the bread.
- Heat a skillet over high heat until very hot.
- Cook the patties for 2 minutes. Flip and cook for another minute then transfer them on a baking sheet.
- Saute the pastrami slices for 1 minute then place them on the burger patties.
- Saute the sauerkraut and its liquid for 1 minute then spoon some sauerkraut on top of each burger.
- Top each burger with a slice of swiss cheese and place the baking sheet in the oven until the cheese melts.
- Brush both sides of the bread slices with the softened butter and toast them on a clean skillet until browned.
- With a spatula place each burger on a slice of bread. Schmear Russian dressing generously on the other slices of toast and place on top of the burger then serve.
This hot pastrami sandwich will satisfy your hunger and your craving for a meaty sandwich.
8. Open-Faced Pastrami Sandwich
It has been argued for a long time, is open-faced considered a sandwich? The answer is a definite yes! it is a sandwich!
Here we present for you an open-faced, sweet, and savory pastrami sandwich recipe that you will never get enough of!
- 4 slices of good sandwich bread
- ¼ pound thinly sliced pastrami
- 2 tablespoons fig jam
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 thinly sliced apple
- Fresh chives for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the bread slices of the baking sheet and smear with fig jam.
- Place a few slices of thin pastrami on each sandwich then top with a light smear of mustard.
- Top with grated cheese and a few thin slices of apple.
- Bake the sandwiches for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted.
- Top with fresh chives and serve immediately.
The ingredients of this hot pastrami sandwich may seem weird to you as it is an unusual blend of flavors, but they work together and they create a unique and absolutely delicious experience!
Be it hot or cold, a pastrami sandwich is one of the dishes out there that has so many fans.
Each one can add their favorite ingredients depending on their favorite flavors to get their own unique pastrami sandwich to enjoy!
It is not a hard sandwich to make, but it is packed with flavors and is worth every effort you put into it!
Go ahead and try the pastrami sandwich recipe you liked the most from the list above and tell us what you think!